Thursday, March 22, 2007

Power

Today one student I like, disobeyed me. He was standing when I wanted him on his seat. I tried to stop him from using his cell-phone in class. I did not succeed, he kept the phone but the screen broke.

Now we want to get this unfortunate event to some kind of closure. We already talked to the Dean and he is thinking what to do. Tomorrow I may find out what to do.

We have broken several phones in my house. They do not seem to be well made. I am sure my student's father can arrange a new phone sent to him and the school authorities can arrange a policy to avoid cell-phones at the school.

What I want to write about here is power.

Do I have the power or he does?

The simple answer seems to be that I do. But I am not that sure. The student himself was very poised in presenting his case. I definitely will be paying attention and how it develops. I am not authoritarian, but I have to teach a class.

Also today another student that cannot stay put was very upset when other students hid his bag, and then threw it to him. I have to create a better atmosphere to teach these kids.

Finally, today I watched in Democracy Now with Amy Goodman, how two Democrat representatives could not agree on the best way to end the war in Iraq. Is it better to be authoritarian, like the republicans seem to be, and get it over with?

My short answer is no.

I rather see people disagreeing in a civilized manner, than imposing their will by the use of power. Even more now that we have so very powerful weapons to destroy each other.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews