Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Worth of a Man

I am reading about my "paisanos" (countrymen) in "Consuming Mexican Labor". They work in the lowest paying jobs here in the US. Also I read Gail Collins note today on Williston, in the NYT. This town has jobs now. They have oil, and are getting it out with hydrofracking, which uses a lot of water.

If I work as a bracero, like my father did in the forties, I am worth close to zero, if I go to that town in North Dakota, I am worth more.

So, what am I really worth?

Basic economics tells us about the supply and demand relation, regulating human labor. The question does not have an absolute answer. Here in Warrenville, if I get an instructor position at one of the colleges of the area, I'll be worth something. If I choose to go north, to that small town, I may be worth a bit more.

I do see an opportunity here, considering this question, to invent something, which may make me, be worth more.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews