Thursday, May 08, 2008

Proculo´s Fart and New Price of Oil

Yesterday my students at Autonomous University of Guerrero, told us a story. I want to connect that story with the recent developments in the oil industry.
There is this rich guy, Proculo, in a town in Guerrero, that is kind of fat and is sitting in a chair as a dance is going on. All of a sudden and without any way for him to control this event, he lets gas out, causing a very clear and distinctively characteristic sound. Everybody in town talks about Proculo´s unfortunate event for days.
In a small town it is difficult to escape such estigma, and Proculo decides to leave town and try his luck in the United States.
Twenty years later Proculo is not happy in his new chosen country and decides to go back, even richer than before. He gets back in town and meets a very pretty girl that catches his eye. They start to talk and he asks her: How old are you? She says, I do not remember very well, but my mother told me that I was three the day of Proculo´s fart.
I am back in Mexico now, when I left, twelve years ago, there was a big crisis, December´s mistake, was called. Now that I decided to come back, I find Mexico in better shape than then. The price of Mexico´s Oil is in an all time high, over a hundred dollars a barrel, with predictions that the most expensive West Texas oil could reach two hundred dollars a barrel, during the coming year.
Unlike the unfortunate Proculo, I did not leave a smelly odor behind, I hope that this time around I may benefit from the wealth of this beautiful country, with the equally beautiful people that live here.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews