Saturday, November 11, 2006

Language Meaning and Power

This week we had parent teacher conferences at school. I talked to almost forty parents; given that I have a hundred and fifty students, that was very good.

I told them what I am doing, and what I need from them. I got their support, sometimes in front of the children. I believe I have more authority in the eyes of the students now. In the past parents and teacher knew each other and it was unlikely that a student will not respect a teacher. Nowadays the big communities we live in, make the threads of authority weaken, or disappear altogether.

I am satisfied with these two days of teacher parent conversations.

Language

Conventions in sounds and the ideas they represent are the beginning of language.

Meaning

The conventions start motion of ideas energizing brain regions, we call that meaning.

Power

A set of neuron motions directing us to the real causes of events, gives us power.

In my conversations with the parents I spoke Spanish. Many of the parents do not speak English. I could express quite clearly in my native language, my concerns about their children, and how best to direct them in the direction we think is good. They are behind me, and now I have more power over my students.

In this moment of crisis if we are to survive, knowledge will set us free.

1 comment:

Eduardo Cantoral said...

Mr. Thesock:

Today I felt that the students respect me more. When I talk to them now I can see the faces of their parents in my mind, and that gives me confidence that the students are listening to me.

Thank you for your comment.

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews