Saturday, July 14, 2007

GED Graduation 1

"This is not the first time that I attend to the "final" stage of the GED process, the reception of public recognition for the effort involved. When I first meet the students in the classroom, I see them coming a bit disoriented on how to proceed, as time passes they seem more clear on their goals and how to attain them, and finally as they attend the graduation ceremony they are very satisfied and making plans for the future. This then, is the end of the cycle, I would not miss it. I feel happy like the students, even if they did all the work not me.

One particular part I like is when one student tells us his or her story, my eyes get watery, and I feel reinvigorated.

When the ceremony is over, sometimes the students want to take pictures with me, and share some desserts and soft drinks. I enjoy these occasions.

These experiences help me in my work with the students. I know that some of them are going to finish their work and I am there ready to help them. Unfortunately not all the students that come to classes pass their test. Sometimes it is because they stop going to the classes, sometimes because they only work in the classroom, and don't have time to work at home, but in most cases, I believe the ones that pass are the most committed.

I have learned to help the students, and I make it clear to them, that they have to work convinced that they can do it, and the instructor and I as a volunteer, are happy to help them if they ask us."

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews