Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Day in the Life of Chilpancingo

Last night I went like more than a thousand people to the Anahuac Congress Plaza, to clebrate the beginning of the Mexican Independence Day on September 15, 1810.
It was fun and games, even free food. I was having a good time. Then these three kids started to bother young girls. I didn't think it was serious but I told them nicely to stop. They humored me and the party went on. Then a little later I asked one of them what school did he go to. He said none, I'm in a gang. I just smiled, but was thinking to myself, that it was better if I left, I did not want any surprises.

I leisurely walked home. At eleven at nigh I heard our State Governor, Zeferino Torreblanca Galindo, give his Independence Cry on TV.

I felt a little awkward about my behavior this morning, until I heard that in the similar celebration in the state next door, Michoacan, governed by the same party, PRD. Two grenades went off in the very same Independence Day Celebration, and at least eight people are dead.

I felt like forty years ago, I chickened out and didn't go to the October 2, 1968, demonstration. Then more than five hundred people died, and to this day, I am glad I was not there.

Better safe than sorry.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews