Saturday, February 10, 2007

What to Do When a Promotion Is Not So Good?

Recently I received comments from two former students to the effect that they liked my class better than the ones the were "promoted" to.

Of course other promoted students seem not to complain.

I teach in Spanish in a bilingual program. Besides the obvious advantage that the students are fluent Spanish speakers, and their English is not so good. In my self serving mind I like to think that, at least for these two, I am a better math teacher than the one they got. After all I have a Ph.D. in Physics and they do not.

What can these students do? Nothing, I think. Just bear it and keep moving forward.

1 comment:

Eduardo Cantoral said...

Ralph,

To be bilingual and bicultural, is an advantage. My daughter speaks Spanish and English fluently. My son is learning Spanish starting next semester.

It takes a lot of practice though. My wife and I speak both languages well, and that helps the children.

These particular students I referred to in the note, are smart. They will do well in the English classes now.

Unfortunately there are some students that are struggling; we all have to work more to make these programs succeed.

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews