Thursday, February 15, 2007

When Somebody Quits

There is a difference between being asked to leave and quitting. Recently two people I know decided to leave a difficult situation. I asked one of them to reconsider the move and see what can be done. I asked the other if there was a consideration of the most likely outcome of that decision.

I hope both people find a better position for themselves. But why did they leave?

I guess I am asking myself if I rather stay where I am or should move on. I was surprised in the past when I decided to leave a position and the boss did not try to retain me. I had made my mind, but still it felt strange that the person in charge did not ask me to stay.

No one is indispensable, there is always somebody else that takes the space we leave. That in a sense is good, but it leaves in me a strange feeling that we do not matter.

I prefer to think of this choice as the ultimate expression of free will. I will do what I think is best under any circumstance. That is the purpose of life. We only live once.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews