Sunday, December 21, 2008

Fairness

On Friday I heard a presentation on how some isolated people in the State of Guerrero, weigh and measure, and sell.

The idea is that fairness determines good measurements. If somebody doesn't measure right, cutomers don't come back.

Today I am downtown Chilpancingo, this is Guerrero State Capital. Old ladies, kids, everybody, is waiting for an annual Christmas celebration, "El Pendón".

I believe there is some kind of penance. Actual pain inflicted on some young people.

Is this fair?

Fairness is a socially constructed institution.

Yesterday I saw "Rudo y Cursi", the new film with Diego Luna, and Gael García Bernal, the Mexican heartrobs from "Y Tú Mamá También" fame.

One issue is if life is fair.

Franck Rich writes today on the NYT (below) about a fairness movie from India: "Slumdog Millionaire"

I find it fascinating that in the poorest county of Mexico, near Metlatónoc , fairness sets weighs and measurements.

This is a discovery for me, and thinking about it, it is to be expected.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews