Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Violence in Chilpancingo

The other day the head of an army person showed up in a plastic bucket near my place.

When I walk around it feels safe. I've always made a practice of walking around wherever I live. Late at night I've crossed the whole town, to the dismay of my friends and relatives. What to do?

Right now I am peacefully sitting at my desk writing this. There is no sense of danger whatsoever, I know the people around me well enough to trust them. A strange feeling makes me realize that not all is fun and games in Chilpancingo.

These men or women, leave messages near the heads of their victims. They want to scare us. One thing is to kill and enemy and go hide, and another is to put his head in a public place with a badly written message to address us all.

There is a more innocuous symbol that bothers me. Graffiti.

It is not that I keep my spaces neat, and don't like to see the mess that young people make. My children's rooms, I believe, are spaces to encourage their creativity, even though sometimes they themselves express concern that the house is "too messy".

What bothers me, is that the children that make graffiti are trying to tell us something, and I don't know what it is. Paraphrasing Bob Dylan:

Because something is happening here

But you don't know what it is

Do you, Mister Jones?


What are these people, younger than me, leaving heads three blocks away from my house, trying to tell us?

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews