Monday, August 30, 2010

Xenophobia

Dislike of the other.

I live in Chilpancingo, even though my mother lived her early life in Guerrero, I am not from here. People notice, I have a different accent and do things differently altogether.

I am not openly discriminated, but together with a few other professors, I am a guest after two years.

I feel that not everybody in the university is glad I am here. It is because of mathematicians here that I am welcomed by them.

Other people in other walks of life, also accept me, and I would even venture the opinion that admire me.

Nevertheless I just read in NYT, that law enforcement personnel have been bugging people that look different from the ``average'' American, and these ``average'' people welcome that new development.

Here in Chilpancingo, and everywhere else in the world where it happens, that nasty feature of some of us has a name: Xenophobia.

Fortunately  there exist people of reason (LATimes).

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews