Monday, June 11, 2012

Google vs. Apple

I should've expected this. I guess I am distracted, but here it is. The battle of the new kids on the block is upon us. I feel that Microsoft needs another chapter. This is a fight between Google and Apple.

Apple is not using Google Maps, and I am sure the fight with Adobe's flash is related, but in this note I only take the late Steve Jobs' company, and Larry Page, and Sergei Brin's, one.

I should have expected it, because Apple has always wanted to keep a tight ship. Software that fits hardware well. I am reading Walter Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs.

Google represents a new generation of Information Technology. It is not the same to develop the neuron, than to develop the whole nervous system. Complexity theory points towards similarities, but there is no nervous system without a rudimentary cell. First unicellular life, then multicellular. First the PC, then the Internet.

It stands to reason that new companies would be needed, the likes of Cisco, and Alcatel-Lucent. Nevertheless I feel that the Google Apple row, is an animal of a different color. Google has developed an operating system language called go. They have supported Android, now they have Chromebook, and their own phones with Motorola.

This is all out war.

Apple is older and has more money and a bigger fan base. Larry Page is not as charismatic as Steve Jobs, but Jobs is dead. Finally Stanford is behind Google, as they were before behind Hewlett-Packard, and Sun Microsystems.

I believe in PhDs, I hold one from UCSB. I vote for the two computer scientists, Page and Brin, above the cowboys at Apple.

The sixties are over, now the Digital Generation is moving in.




No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews