Sunday, April 02, 2006

Science applications

Now that I was burned by SPAMMING, people may not take seriously what I have to say about relevant science. I already apologized for adding irrelevant links to some digg.com news posts. I hope you come back to this site.

Maybe a little background may help. I did work for Lucent technologies before I was let go in 2001. That is why I found the Lucent Alcatel Merge news interesting. Lucent was bought for around half the price it would have gotten a few years before. Lucent's Pat Russo stays as head of the new company but now the base will be France not the US. This is relevant for anybody that wants to understand what is happening in the world right now. Maybe it is not science, but it is science related. Bell Labs was one of the first Industrial Laboratories in the whole world. Scientists at the Labs invented the transistor, developped the laser, invented Information Theory, and the Theory of Superconductivity. That is a new paradigm in the history of humanity.

The LED keyboard and ethernet ligthing system are interesting for me because I work for Lynk Labs, a small start-up based in Elgin Illinois that develops LED applications. The intention was not to take the attention from the applications to my other interests, it was a way to connect my different interests, maybe somebody would be interested. Now I know that digg.com readers are sensitive at getting SPAM. I did not even know that name as describing my actions until my son told me.

The Fermilab neutrino announcement is also historic, and I did work at Fermilab for a few years. Very likely this is one of the last fundamental discoveries of this laboratory, since now the highest energy accelerator in the world is going to start operations next year in Europe. This is very relevant just like Bell labs moves to Europe, high energy physics work moves to Europe.

Carlos Slim, the mexican mogul of telecommunications is pairing up with Intel, to be the king of the Internet in Mexico. At this rate he may get close to Bill Gates in net worth. Those two own over forty billion dollars between them. They are very relevant. This is definitely not science, but applications of science. I am going to change the description of this site right now.

I hope you keep coming to this site, to follow my relevant science.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews