Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Obama at West Point

I supported President Obama against McCain. I do not vote in the US, but I believe I was not alone in the world in having an opinion on the most powerful position on Earth.

This is my reaction to today's speech. I want to clarify the decision to myself, and hopefully for some readers.

Obama has never been at war, just like the past President. He didn't even have the chance. He was too young for Vietnam. He is a product of the US educational system, he believes the American narrative. A city upon a hill.

The number of weapons of mass destruction in the US is unprecedent in the History of Mankind. Nevertheless, those weapons cannot be used in Afghanistan.

I believe in the power of the mind, and the President has a good head over his shoulders. My conclusion nonetheless is this:

All people believe they are special; my people the Aztecs, believed that an eagle on a lake, on top of a cactus devouring a snake signaled them the right to settle and fight the other Mexicans living there, and so they did.

There are no such commandments to special people, we are all human beings and fight each other grouped in tribes to dominate. The US cannot dominate Afghanistan, nor any other place right now. I do not see the conditions for such a feat, what I see is a world in disarray about to face the abyss, we are at the brink of collapse, and the enemy is not the other, the enemy is us.

Paul Krugman has this to say today:

"The chances of a relapse into recession seem to be rising."

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews