Sunday, February 13, 2011

Domingo is 70!

''Last June, three months after surgery, Domingo was quoted in England's The Independent as saying, "I don't want to be 70 and still singing opera. I don't think I will still be singing on 21 January 2011, which is my 70th birthday." Clearly, that didn't happen. He is scheduled for "The Enchanted Island," a staging of Baroque arias from different composers, which opens at the Met this New Year's Eve.

At this rate, could a performance be ruled out on Sept. 28, 2018, the 50th anniversary of his Met debut?''

NYT

I am 61, this week I was in my mother's hometown of Huitzuco, Guerrero, in Mexico. I went to an old folks home, supported by pious women and men, in that order.

I am sad.

A woman not even 70, I don't think; immediately approached me to get her two cigarettes, and a coke. I asked permission and went to buy her the alloted one cigarette. She seemed grateful, and I held her hand.

Later I found out that the only man there, raped and killed his mother; now I wonder if that woman's anxiety has some connection with this awful fact.

I just saw Biutiful, there is a character, played by Javier Bardem, that among other things tries to help some Chinese illegally in Barcelona, causing their death by asphyxiation. Good intentions may not be enough

I wonder.

Definitely, I don't want to pass my last days there.  

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews