Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Change of Emphasis

For my loyal readers.

First: My heartfelt thanks for your visits; at last count there were 355, 070 pageviews. I started this blog, while I was a physics instructor at Glenbard East High School, around 2006. This week I start an introductory astronomy class with the textbook: Essential Cosmic Perspective, by Jeffrey Bennett et al., at Waubonsee Community College.

Second: I announce here an astronomical emphasis on this blog. I will try to have the more relevant class material in a blog I started in 2009, for the International Year of Astronomy. The URL is in Nahua language, Yoal Cicitlaltin, in Spanish the title translates to Noche de Estrellas, in Engish is Night of Stars. Here is the [link]. All the material there for the class, will be in the English Language.

To make Science relevant, one has to cover more than class material. Drill for the test, is not a way to get most people interested. A group of students, I'm sure, will need just concrete instructions to pass the course. I will accommodate; but I believe that for an intellectual rewarding experience, some of us need more.

Third and Final: The course covers our neighborhood, and ends with the Universe at Large. Humanity has used new technology to advance knowledge of the Cosmos, at ever increasing rates of return. It also covers the search for habitable planets, and for life.

I hope you keep coming back.


No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews