Sunday, August 13, 2006

September 15 in Mexico City's Zocalo

I just heard the speech by Andrés Manuel López Obrador (AMLO) in Mexico City's Zocalo today. I looked for some news in English informing of AMLO's decision to be in the Zocalo by September 15. I am sure that some of the readers of my blog don't know what that means, so here is my interpretation of this historic speech.

If he wins the election by Septembers 6 that is his official obligation, to be in the Zocalo to celebrate the Mexican Independence Day. The war against Spain started that day in 1810. If he loses the Mexican army will have to take his people out of the Zocalo, because the elected president, his opponent, Felipe Calderón, has to be there.

Today this looks to me as a declaration of war; Mexico could be entering into a new civil war.

My family is there, I do not want a war there. I am worried.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews