Sunday, June 10, 2007

GED Graduation

I met a neighbor from Mexico City here in Illinois yesterday. He moved here in 1992, I in 1998. He got his High School Diploma, I was there to see the result of my volunteer work.

Everybody that has finished the program studies conscientiously. I hope more of them come in the future.

Also this week President Bush abandoned his immigration bill, now millions of workers have to keep working without the protection of the law. One can argue that since they did not asked for it, that since they forfeited their rights by braking the law, they do not deserve better conditions. I myself don't think so. Life is complicated and what we observe at this point is not only their fault.

In any case if any of the GED graduates is not here legally, I hope that their employers will pay them more now that they have proven themselves as students.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews