Monday, January 12, 2009

War and Peace

Reading about the war going on in the Gaza Strip for the past two weeks it is hard for me not to wonder about peace in my country, and Peace in general.

When the ownership of resources gets muddled, I believe conflict arises. If my neighbor covets my possessions, he may quarrel with me. I do not fight with other living organisms that I don't perceive as threatening. There is Peace as a consequence.

In my neck of the woods there is not much arable land to be had, as a consequence the revolution war that devastated my country a hundred years ago, was not as virulent as in other parts where big landlords made a pest of themselves. Greed generated grief.

Israel and Gaza are in the middle of the dessert. Israel is famous for its technological prowess getting water out of rocks, so to say. Not enough, the fight continues. Some may believe the problem is Allah and the God that gave Israel the right to live there. I am not a religious person, and I cannot stop there my analysis. Actually I do not understand it. How could one God, let alone two Gods, require so much blood of innocent children.

If there is going to be Peace on Earth, I believe we first have to recognize the rights of our brothers and sisters, and then work together to a better common life. Any other course of action seems doomed from my present perspective. I had this feeling at least since I was fifteen years old, if not before. Now the feeling is getting buttressed by actual knowledge about the dire moment humanity is going through.

Peace on Earth.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews