Friday, September 10, 2010

Parties in Chilpancingo

Since I moved here two years ago, one thing I saw was how eager people are to have a party down here.

Our welcome party for the freshman class yesterday had loud music, drinks, and of course dance. Nevertheless late at nigh I got worried because a party of four or so were there. I didn't know them, I thought the students had rented the dancing room, just outside campus, just for the math crowd.

I asked the bartenders, if anybody could come in. They answered in the affirmative. Whoever pays can come in. Then I proceeded to talk to these party goers. In a friendly way, one of them told me that they were relatives of the late Armando Chavarría Barrera (Wikipedia note on him in Spanish here). The orphan son of this member of Guerrero House of Representatives, was having a good time with his buddies. I felt everything was cool, after getting a free drink from them, I went back to my seat.

I left before the party was over, because I had asked a student to come early in the morning today.

Coming today I felt relieved, since no ugly incident happened, our girls took care of themselves with these drunken suitors, and their fellow students were all ok.

Nevertheless the weird feeling remains, sure this representative from the left was good, but he was assassinated a year ago, and the government has not solved the murder. Maybe I should be worried that now I know the son of the late representative.

And life goes on.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews