Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Tuesday Night!

Tomorrow is Wednesday. Finally I am calmly sitting down and working at my Ubuntu powered desktop. I have time to take stock. Here I go.

 Students inspire me.

 I am a guest professor in Mexico, resident of the US. That doesn't sound strange; but over half of the faculty is a guest! The chairman of the math department had to loan me close to a hundred and fifty dollars to tie me up, until  pay day. The students are worth it.

 I am teaching a class with over forty students, the last stretch of a general education section at the University of Guerrero. We already worked on a writing class, and a problem solving one. I have taught the previous two classes of this general education part of their university course work to a group of these students, . We have a blog in Spanish, [link]

I will be working with Mathematica also, my blog is here.

The purpose of this current events class is to know and understand our modern world. Analysis of the Contemporary World, they call it. To me the contemporary, or modern world, started with "The Enlightenment". We will be discussing videos, and readings. Soon we will be watching, "The Story of Stuff", [link].

I will be reading professor's Deutsch book, "The Beginning of Infinity." He presents  an optimistic worldview; he claims that knowledge is a transformative component of the whole Universe. So far we have only seen the biosphere. Deutsch generalizes these observations to the whole Universe. In his view, we have to leave Earth, some time in the future.

Finally I am working on my idea of a New Scientific Method. The main element of the proposal is the use of automated means of data management. We ought to take data, apply the automatic management method, and compare the results to bring about the best fit we are capable of.

I am agnostic about the essential existence of formulas, or programs out there, and that the Theoretical Physicist's job is to go and FIND THEM, there. I rather believe, that we make up the formulas and programs, until we get the best fit, in a never ending error correcting infinite loop.

So far it has worked, I expect it to keep working, even faster if we accept, that this is ALL we are doing.

One step back, two steps forward.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Eduardo, LHC results are confirming that there is no Higgs, no SUSY, no string theories... as predicted.

One might hope that this would force them to look inward to see if something got missed, but I'm hearing exactly the opposite, as they prepare to add yet another layer of irreconcilable complexity instead.

This is very depressing... like fanatics nothing shakes their confidences, nothing makes them wonder if they screwed up at the most fundamental level, and they have no intention of giving up their "new physics" god.

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews