Tuesday, October 10, 2006

If the World is About to End, Why are We so Calm?

I have been reading papers for more than forty years now. I spent some time thinking also. At this moment I feel that some limits, maybe Earth's carrying capacity for humans, have been crossed. Like when an object crosses the event horizon of a black hole, nothing spectacular happens, but the future of that object is sealed. So I suspect we have crossed that threshold. Some of the news items in this blog point in that direction.
If that is so, Why are we so calm?

I really don't know.

For now I congratulate myself in being the 6000th person to dig the story of Google and You Tube. Uplifting story.

2 comments:

PeakEngineer said...

That's a unique analogy -- humanity's future slipping into a black hole. Invokes some strong imagery. Maybe the collapse will happen slower for some due to time dilation :)

Eduardo Cantoral said...

Actually, the analogy is not mine, I believe I read it in James Lovelock's book, Gaia's Revenge.

All falling objects near to each other have the same time dilation in their reference frames. Outside observers will see them falling at the same rate also.

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews