Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Best High Schools

Newsweek Magazine just published a list of best high schools in the US.

I recently taught at two high schools in Illinois. They are not in the first 300. I did find some schools from IL in that list. They seem to me to be from well to do neighborhoods. One of the schools I taught at is ranked in number 1127, and the other is not even ranked.

Now I am teaching in one of the poorest region of Mexico, which in itself has a much lower income than the US.

What can I conclude?

The obvious implication is that wealth produces good schools, but I am really more concerned with another question, where is there more talent? My guess is that the distribution of this human trait is uniform throughout the world.

That is why the OLPC project is so important. Let us give ALL children a chance.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews