Friday, May 23, 2008

New Power Balance in Guerrero?

When I was a kid, every summer I used to go to my mother´s home town. Now I realize we were children of privilege; my grandpa had been a judge and a mayor in the town. My grandma´s siblings fought and WON the revolutionary war of 1910 to 1920. We did not feel that wealthy, but we were not from the laboring class.

Then my uncle´s pawns started to go to the US in search for fortune. Some got wealthy, and the way my uncle put it succinctly is: "now the rich are poor, and the poor are rich".

Now as an older man, back in my mother´s home state, I see the poor vying for power; unfortunately not always in the most peaceful way.

There is a "cold war" going on. Candidates for mayor or judge now; need armed protection. A new power agreement is being foged. Guerrero is producing a new power balance.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews