Monday, June 08, 2009

Life Crisis at 60

This year I'll turn 60. I do not feel old; actually I am very much eager to get involved in the next stage in my life. Here I do a little soul searching as preparation for the time until the next crisis.

I will like to live forever as Ray Kurzweil proposes in the Singularity is Near. I really don't believe him, but I like that life outlook. Instead of facing retirement I am getting ready for a new life stage. If I don't make it to the next crisis, I'll have to take it like a man: What else can I do?

I've met other scientists that accomplished good goals through their lives. I do not envy them, but on the other hand it makes me wonder, about my results, or lack of them. I have been ambitious, believing that by now, I'd have more to show for my work, than I can. I guess this is the crisis part of these reflections.

What options do I have now?

I have been offered to work in an international collaboration, with several universities in this and the European continent. There are at least two goals I see:


  1. Open Source work in Mathematics Education
  2. Collaboration with knowledgeable colleagues in a scientific group
As always, since I was around twenty years old, I'll keep thinking about Information in Theoretical Physics. Along the lines of Jacob Bekenstein and other General Relativity experts, like Lee Smolin. Here in Mexico we have Alejandro Corichi to add to the brew.

Nevertheless it seems possible to collaborate with the Large Aperture Gamma Ray Bursts Observatory, LAGO, for short. I expect these friends to help me in my Sugar on a Stick Mathematics Education Project.

There. That seems to be a plan. Now I have to ask for money to do it.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews