Monday, June 01, 2009

Luis Cariño Marbán

I met a happy man in Huitzuco, Guerrero, Mexico, yesterday.

He won a bicycle race against men half his age. This man is a little older than me, his father was an American indian that escaped the US to go and be free in Mexico, his mother was a Mexican woman from Huitzuco.

My mother's father was Manuel Uriza Marbán, there are many Marbans in Huitzuco. This man has light color eyes like my grandpa.

This man is proud and knowledgeable of his Indian ancestry, he has owned escuincle dogs cross bred with other types of dogs.  The escuincles came with the first men and women crossing the Bering strait many thousands years ago. I saw two beautiful specimens he owns.

He lives up in the mountains near La Tequisca, a place I used to go to when I was a kid, but was scared to visit now for fear of seeing it dead like so many beautiful places in Mexico. He assured me it is still pristine in some locations. I'll be back there sometime.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews