Thursday, June 04, 2009

Pito Pérez and Juan Candeche

I recently was reminded of a character in my mother's hometown. I used to go there frequently before I turned 20. There was this man doing menial work, and not all there in his mind. Maybe he wasn't that crazy after all, maybe he was like that character, Pito Pérez in a José Rubén Romero novel. This man was smart but at odds with the the town's people.

How much a crazy man is just an outcast, not willing to put up with what the rest of the town is perfectly happy with.

This is not a new idea, we have Ken Kesey, One flew over the cuckoo's nest, and the French Movie King of Hearts.

I myself feel detached from my peers once in a while.

I was too young to know any better, I thought Juan Candeche was crazy.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews