Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Science at the Outskirts

I have thought about my condition before. Mexico is backward as far as modern physics research is concerned. I have a higher degree in physics than most Mexicans. What should I do then?

An obvious answer is to teach others, but I feel that I am not that good of a teacher. I am more interested in what is happening in my field, than how much students learn. My dilemma now arises from my Mathematics Education appointment. I cannot say anymore that teaching is not my primary interest.

After a year of teaching in my mother's home state of Guerrero in Mexico; I am not satisfied. I am grading a classical mechanics course work today. The students did what I asked them more or less, but not quite. Nobody even touched this problem:

Problem 2. It is known from the newspapers that the cosmonaut Leonov, going for a walk in space, threw the lens cap of his movie camera toward the earth. Where did it go?

Should I give them a low grade for not even trying? Or wasn't I clear enough about what was important, and what was not as important?

When in doubt, I tend to grade them high, rather than low. I'll do it one more time. But I know that I have to do better next time.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews