Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Pierre Ramond, NAL and Ken Ono

I just found, looking for the ground state energy (below) of string theory, Pierre Ramond's reminiscences at the National Accelerator Laboratory (NAL).  I have these reminiscences myself.

I did remember that factor $\frac{ -2 }{24}$ , more precisely $\frac{D -2}{24}$, from lectures I attended at UCSB in the 70s, and in Mexico, during my close to 18 years there. Now I discover this work by Ono et al. (below), and find this number again. Maybe there is something there, maybe not. What do partitions of a natural number have to do with String Theory? At this state of the game, your guess is as good as mine.

I take a definitely infrarealistic  tone.

Ramond writes about Wheaton, NAL, and all that. He started the Theory Group There!, my advisor, Bob Sugar, spent the academic year 1973-1974 there, I spent a sabbatical (1994-1995) there.  Now Fermilab is dead. Seems like hundreds of years have passed, I live next door to a corpse in Warrenville, and there is no fundamental theory of forces. Nature has not being nice to us.

With every little glimpse of light I get excited. Will those fractions with 24 lead anywhere?

Don't know.

I leave you with this non-sensical formula:

$\Sigma_{n=1}^\infty n= -\frac{1}{12}$

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews