Monday, May 16, 2011

Reflection

I took a one year alternative training program course at Benedictine University in Lisle, Illinois. Part of the work was to reflect on the teaching job and write about it. Prior to that I studied Electrical Engineering at the National Polytechnic Institute of Mexico. Technical education does not emphasize the humanities as much as the Benedictine education I received did. Here you have one of my reflections.

Students are encouraged by the trust instructors put on them. The knowledge of the expert teacher is not the issue, the issue is how much the students feel motivated by the trust of the teacher. Only a fraction of the students take initiative and work as I expect. Here you have in Spanish, the report of one of those students on the book: Intelligence Reframed, by Howard Gardner.

What to do with the rest?

This is the hard part of teaching. I will address the issue in another note.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews