Sunday, May 29, 2011

War in Guerrero, Mexico

There are rumors of war in south Mexico. Together with democratically elected authorities, there are revenge killings when these authorities change. Order is kept, and has been kept in these parts of Mexico, with the barrel of a gun. Poppy flowers grow in several parts of the state like Tlacotepec, in the center of the state. Poor people live there and are easy prey of narcotic production and distribution gangs. "Lead or Silver Law," either you join in the support chain, or you die.

Every hundred years this state goes to war. Jose Maria Morelos y Pavon, was kept in a house downtown Huitzuco, the town my mother grew up in. He was fighting against Spain 200 years ago. Then my grandma's brothers, Abraham, and Mardonio Castro went to war on February 28, 1911, together with close to a hundred men from the town.

Both wars lasted ten years. The current one started December, 2006, with Felipe de Jesus Calderon Hinojosa, President of Mexico, therefore it will end around 2016.

I should leave, I am not a hero.

2 comments:

Julio Castro said...

I love to hear more of these stories of my ancestors of Huitzico...My name is Julio Castro and I am a decendant of Capitan Fidel Castro Uriza de Huitzuco Gurrero...

Eduardo Cantoral said...

Julio, it is so good that I found you. Let's keep in touch.

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews