Thursday, March 20, 2014

Slashdot Effect

Wikipedia defines this, as an increased number of visitors to a concentrator web site, when another linked, and bigger site, has many visitors. I experienced the effect with the BICEP2 Nobel Prize worthy discovery, of a smoking gun for Inflation.

Taking advantage of my 15 minutes of fame, here I go again (thanks Andy Warhol).

Gravity may, or may not have a quantum field, the graviton, the observations do not require this particle. In my mind, a classical gravitational wave, would suffice. I imagine a pond of classical gravity waves, where the Inflaton, or maybe the Higgs particle causes ripples. Spin 2 for the classical waves allows quadrupole vibration modes, and the B-Modes can appear there.

On the other hand, it is quite tantalizing to speculate on the size of the electromagnetic polarization.


Twenty percent of the signal comes from gravity, and eighty percent from some unknown scalar field.

That is a lot of unknown material. Given that the composition of Our Universe is 26.8 % Dark Matter, and 68.3% Dark Energy, I am humbled, and remember those Newton's wise words:

“I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.” 
― Isaac Newton

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews