Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Change Students Minds

I see my high school teacher's role as a mind changer. For reasons that I do not fully understand, that I only can guess, some students come to the classroom with me without really wanting to be there. I can take some actions like mark them absent or tardy; fail them so they cannot do what they really want to do, sports activities.

Obviously I prefer positive reinforcements as opposed to punishments. I remember a professor in college that was doing research. In Mexico that very fact, doing research, was an inspiration to me, I did not have other role models doing that. That changed my mind.

I want to change the minds of a few students so they see more options in their future. I believe I can change the minds of a fraction of my students, maybe 10%.

2 comments:

Flor Mora said...

SALUDOS DESDE MEXICALI, BAJA CALIFORNIA. OJALA Y PUDIESEMOS CAMBIAR INFORMACIÓN PUES ESTE BLOG ES MUY AGRADABLE.
SIEMPRE ES INTERESANTE COMO SE VE A NUESTRO PAÍS DESDE ALLÁ Y LA FORMA EN QUE UN MEXICANO, EN ESTADOS UNIDOS CONTRIBUYE A LA FORMACIÓN DE MEJORES PERSONAS.

Eduardo Cantoral said...

Muchas gracias por sus alentadoras palabras. En este momento estoy enseñando matemáticas a más de cien estudiantes, casi todos de México; realmente trato de contribuir a la formación de mejores personas, aunque algunas veces es difícil.

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews