Monday, March 12, 2007

Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP)

The results are in. My school did not make it last year. I was not in the school yet, but I am afraid with my work this year my students are not going to make it again when the tests of this year come in; so I am not free of blame. Our school failed to make Adequate Yearly Progress.

What is the problem?

I feel that my students are pampered. It will be enough to tell them that if they do not study and pass the tests they are not going to be given the opportunity to stay in school. Instead they should be put to work. As it is happening right now, I think they are already doing menial work in the local economy and they are not studying. It will be better to recognize that fact and pay scholarships to the good students and officialy declare that the rest are working. As it is right now it seems that they are studying when in reality they are not.

I know this seems drastic, but most of my students are from Mexico, and that is the way it is done there. Only recently, in some locations, like Mexico City, it is possible to study High School. In the rest of the country young people this age, are not studying.

I do not like to have young people not studying, but at the same time I don't like a collective lie. Some of these students are already working, they are not full time students and therefore their results are bellow the standards.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews