Friday, March 02, 2007

New Stage in My Life

Next year I will not work at the same place. Last year I worked in a different school. I have worked in more than eight different institutions since 1970 when I got my first real job. Prior to that I worked in a school materials store in the same block where I used to live; but they did not pay, and I quit.

Some of those jobs were better than others, some were better paying than others, but I always have dreamed of inventing my own paying occupation.

Today I start a meditation, I will think aloud. I do not expect many people to be reading these musings, but at least I plan to revisit this site to order my ideas.

The way I see it, there are two basic ways of earning a living. One asks other people to give us something to do, or we tell other people what to do.

I will put forward some ideas to do the latter.

If there is a new method or product that nobody is using and promises to satisfy a need, then one is in business. The problem with this is that there is risk involved. If nobody knows or uses the business idea, it is hard to convince people to use it. This is a sales problem. Furthermore one has to invent the thing or method, or license a promising one. This first installment of my meditations has to do with possible business ideas.

Methodologically speaking it is good to consider prior knowledge, it actually is a must. I have experience teaching, doing research, both pure and applied, and very little experience organizing others or selling. I was in charge of academic activities in a school with close to two thousand students. During this time I was concerned with the possible gainful employment opportunities for physics and mathematics students. One effort started then, is still bearing fruits. A newspaper in the city where I was working is still on-line to this day. I read it frequently. That was good. Unfortunately I do not receive a penny for that accomplishement.

One difficulty that I have noticed in my life is that I think in different levels. One is concerned with the viability of intelligent life on Earth, the other with tomorrow's paycheck.

Real life is somewhere in between. The example of the newspaper can be used to clarify my idea. I knew it was good to have the paper on-line, but I did not know how the editor of the paper or myself could make money out of it. To tell you the truth, to this day I do not know how much money my friend is doing with his newspaper on-line. I do know though, that I am not making any money.

With this caveat, possible business ideas are:

  • Education

  • Electronics

  • Consulting

  • Information


  • Education

    I have worked in schools most of my life, it is possible to learn, human beings naturally thrive to know more. One problem is that sometimes the teachers and the students are not doing what they want to do at the time, and no learning takes place.

    Electronics

    Moore's Law states that the number of components in a microchip increases by a factor of two every year. This observation has been verified for more than thirty years. As a consequence electronic equipment can do more things faster. There is opportunity for innovation in this part of the economy.

    Consulting

    If one does not have money or does not want to risk; one can help others invest their money wisely. This in itself is a risky profession. One may not get any clients and then there is no profit.

    Information

    The Universe we inhabit has several sources of uncertainty. Some are well understood, and I am aware at least of another one that seems deeper than previous ones. A biological system depends for its time development on events that were not planed. These events produce an unknowable background where life evolves. Regular physics needs boundary conditions to predict the future, but in biology it seems that no boundary conditions can ever be given.

    No comments:

    Twitter Updates

    Search This Blog

    Total Pageviews