Tuesday, March 13, 2007

On the Probability of One Event

It is likely that from the several types of Homo sapiens living in Africa around a hundred thousand years ago, only one made it and that is us.

What is the probability of that event?

To my ignorant mind that question rings the same bells as the question of what is the probability that I was born? I believe both are very small, but then again here I am.

Probability theory is a hard subject for me since I was in college. I never know what to include and what to leave out. To my chagrin most of Physics is Statistical physics, be it by fundamental reasons like Quantum Mechanics, or because of obvious physical limitations we have as human beings, like in Statistical Mechanics.

To my mind these questions sound like asking for the probability that I will win a TV contest and work in movies. How can one plan a life like that?

Right now I will leave it there, the probabilities that I belong to the particular type of Homo sapiens that made it, and that I was born, as far as I can see are of zero measure.

And then again, here I am.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews