Monday, May 07, 2007

Exponential Functions

At school we are reviewing the exponential function. I feel that I have not given the students a sense of the growth this function can represent. I worry about the mechanics of the calculations. How do we know when to add or subtract exponents? We are finished with regular classes, and I want the students to review what they already know. I give them something to do, but they do not take to it as I would want them.

What am I doing wrong?

I plan to teach the next class with more feeling. A little introduction, maybe about compound interests, and then the worksheet. Something like this.

If you put a little money in the bank at a reasonable interest rate, after a few years you may get a considerable amount. Imagine that your first paycheck ever is for ten full days. Imagine that in your state the minimum wage is eight dollars an hour. How much will you have in ten years if you deposit that amount at 8% a year?

The answer is:

10x8x8x(1.08)10 = 1381.71

I hope this is interesting.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews