Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Neutrinos from SN 2006gy?

Recently I wrote an e-mail to a friend about the possibility that the biggest explosion ever recorded by humans produced any neutrinos that could be measured also?

He has not answered, but after I posed the question I have being thinking.

I think it is unlikely.

I was thinking of SN 1987 A. That supernova explosion did produce neutrinos seen on Earth, but that was much closer. That event happened in a neighboring galaxy to our Milky Way.

As far as I know SN 2006gy occured far away. Something like 238 million light years away, 1400 times farther than SN 1987 A. Therefore even if it is the biggest explosion ever, I will be surprised if any neutrinos made it all the way to the Auger detector in Argentina that I asked my friend about. That observatory is not optimized for neutrino detection. But then again, he is the expert and I am not. I eagerly await his answer. In fact if they did catch something, the World will find out, not only me.

My friend just told me that no neutrino was observed in Argentina when the Supernova exploded. I guess that because the explosion was too far, and that detector was not built to catch neutrinos, none were detected.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews