Sunday, May 20, 2007

Immigration Law for the New Year 1

Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina, a co-author of the bill, said the point system was devised so America “can compete for the best minds that exist in the world.”

I posted an article from the NYT here.

The version now under consideration with support from the White House and both parties has a new element I discuss here.

Senator Graham wants the best minds.

Before a very important aspect was to have reunification of families, now also the education level of the new immigrants matters.

I agree with this change. Apart from the apparent benefit I may get because I hold a Ph.D. degree from an American university; I believe that society should give points when somebody has more education.

On the other hand points will be given for joining the Army, there I do not get points. That is the point of politics though, there are compromises. I hope the status of twelve million illegal immigrants is changed so they can be productive members of society.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews