Monday, February 02, 2009

Lead and Mercury in Huitzuco

This morning I heard that scientists from the Universidad Autónoma de Guerrero, where I work, have found above normal levels of lead in the blood stream of some Taxco people.

There have been silver operations there, at least since  Cortes' time if not before, we are talking here over four hundred years.

Huitzuco nearby, where my mother is from has mercury besides. I'm glad she moved before I was born.

I still feel I have to justify my existence in a place that needs science to be viable!

With the recent peso devaluation (below) my income went down.

My children were not born in Huitzuco either but in Puebla. I do not know of any lead in babies blood there. Now they live in Illinois.

These are not pleasant thoughts. All those children for centuries with high levels of lead in their blood. What a mess.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews