Saturday, March 28, 2009

Academic Evolution

The Renaissance followed mercantile successes of European merchants. Bell Lab scientists got Nobel Prizes in pure science while there was a telephone monopoly in the US.

Here in Chilpancingo there is interest in Astronomy but not a single professional telescope to look at the sky.

Since the time I decided to be a theoretical physicist I knew that this was a long shot. Some of my peers have been successful, but I feel that even them have not contributed to human culture as our friends at Princeton or Harvard.

The process is simple to describe, all of us get a fair try at tenure posts in elite research centers, some are chosen and then handsomely supported.

I do not want to complain, just to understand.

What are the chances of a Physics program in the Autonomous University of Guerrero, any time soon?

Realistically, very slim.

Nobody stops me from teaching Physics already, actually there is some kind of benign neglect. I'll keep at it, until I find a better way to spend my time or succeed.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews