Friday, March 27, 2009

There Are Still Eagles In Chilpancingo!

I am placidly sitting in my office, with a gorgeous view of a spring morning. I can see some pine trees from the Botanic Garden just behind the next building.

I saw a few seconds ago an eagle flying around in circles. He (she?) is gone now.

This capital city of Guerrero State does not even have half a million people. It is growing fast though. The university campus is closer to the edge of town than to downtown; besides, the mountains don't allow urban sprawl from east to west; it is a rather thin city.

I guess eagles still feel at home around here. I am glad.

People living here for millenia have made eagles, tigers, and other older inhabitants their friends, at least mythologically.

Cuauhtémoc, the last Aztec tlautani (ruler) was born not far away from here. His name means falling eagle.

I salute you Cuauhtémoc, you haven't died, I just saw you!

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews