Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Fidel Castro on China

As a Latin American of my generation I pay attention to what Fidel Castro has to say. At some point in my life I even considered going to live in Cuba.

He has stated loud and clear what a bunch of Latin American intellectuals like myself think. China keeps the dream.

The West did not try to build a new society, the old one was good, thank you. Of course some countries were being paid handsomely for their victory in World War II. There have always been war spoils.

It was sad for me to see how the Soviet Union failed.

Cuba has maintained the dream, at the expense of hardships for the Cuban people. As a scientist I prefer facts to dreams. China's success is a fact. I join Fidel Castro in stating it clearly: Chinese communism has worked.

Since my mind works by contrast I want to add a coda.

I admire and enjoy the freedom I have lived in the US. I do hope we find the way out in a Democratic Form of Government. American society is not just a bunch of Bernie Madoffs. There are enlightened people in this country where my children have grown up. This is the Land of Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger that made me cry during Obama's inauguration.

I guess I want it all. I am convinced we will need our best survival abilities to go through this bottleneck.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews