Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Leonard Cohen, Paul Krugman, and Barack Obama

One is older than me, the other about my age and the third is my kid brother's age.

Do I know more than them?

I had two very interesting polls in this blog recently. The first asked if Obama's decisions could help their job situation, the second, if government decisions affect their life. I was surprised by the first response; most people thought Obama's economic policies were not going to help them, then I decided to ask the second question; maybe people didn't believe governments affected their life. Wrong again, most believe they do.

How do I understand this, and what is the point of bringing age and these smart gentlemen to my reflections?

Here it goes.

People reading my blog are not assured by Obama's economic decisions, they know they will be affected, but believe that not in a good way. If so, are they right?

Here enters Krugman. He agrees; he was interviewed from his house in Princeton by phone by Amy Goodman. He repeated his point expressed in his morning piece in the NYT. He disagrees with Obama's decision on bailing out failing banks, as I understand it, because Onbama is losing a historic opportunity to change the paradigm, as this catastrophic situation requires. I agree.

Now Cohen: This seventy year old man has gone communist. He put his last record online for free through NPR, of all places. I am thoruoghly enjoying it. For free. The best things in the world are free.

I end up with that skinny black guy in the White House.

I love the guy, don't take me wrong, my son is very proud to have such a President.

And still I'm older than him, at least I've had more time to reflect. This is not an unsolicited advise piece to the President of the USA. It is just my effort to make sense of the world, mainly for my own consumption.

Cohen is wiser than me, Krugman about the same, and Obama, the kid all we three very likely want to succeed.

Will he?

This is tough man. I don't envy him.

My kid brother is also brilliantly facing the world and trying to change it. I am proud of him.

What will I tell the generations coming after me?

First I do not want to be meek, I have a responsibility, I'm older, I should tell them what I've seen, without ego trips, just honestly telling them how I see it.

These are hard times, sticking together we may get through, like several times in the past of our common ancestors. At one point they say, we all were only twenty thousand of us, and we made it through that bottle neck. It is almost as when we came through our mothers' birth canals. Since we made it, we are here.

The answer to the mysteries, do dam, dam..Say the guru Leonard.

Obama, have courage to face the wreckers of the past years. The USA needs bold actions. Don't be afraid. Only be afraid of fear.

Listen to Paul Krugman, Nobel Prize winner and Princeton Professor.

If you don't, we'll make you!

DO GOVERNMENT DECISIONS AFFECT YOUR LIFE?

Yes 9 (90%)

No 0 (0%)
Don't Know 1 (10%)


Vote on this poll

Votes so far: 10
Minutes left to vote: 15

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews