Monday, November 22, 2010

Left and Right

I feel fortunate to have American and Mexican friends. I disagree with an American one on Paul Krugman's view of the world. He is more concerned about the coming financial catastrophe coming our way if Obamacare and other liberal measures are taken.

Reading Bob Herbert today in the NYT, I feel the need to take advantage of a teachable moment . Herbert reminds us of John Kennedy and the beginning of the sixties when everything was possible even a moon mission. I remember another American friend, that accepted the challenge to join the Peace Corps in those years. Americans then thought they could do anything. Nowadays they feel that they cannot do anything. I want my money back, is what I hear, from this friend who opposes Krugman's ideas. That is what I hear. No idealism.

That is not me, I am still a young man from the sixties, in my own sixties.

Come on people. We are forced to be a new kind of human being. We are in deep, deep, trouble; and that is why we have to be full of hope. Otherwise we do not have any chance.

I am a leftist and proud of it.

From Herbert's piece:

``Kennedy spoke in his acceptance speech of a choice “between national greatness and national decline.” That choice was never so stark as right now. There is still time to listen to a voice from half a century ago.''

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews