Sunday, November 28, 2010

Todos Unidos con Mixiotes Calientitos

When my wife and I first went to Puebla in the early eighties, there had  been a presidential campaign in 1976. Only one candidate run, José López Portillo, but the hills around Puebla, still had big, should we call them, natural banners?, i.e. with rocks or paint, in big letters one could read things like: ``Todos Unidos con López Portillo.''

The great sense of humor of my wife led her to compose other slogans in her head, she used to amuse us with. One that stuck in mine was: Todos Unidos con Tamales Calientitos. ``Everybody United With Hot Tamales.'' Tamal is a Mexican delicacy.

In my way to school early afternoon today, I saw a big gathering of school teachers from all over Guerrero State. They were waiting for Ángel Aguirre Rivero, who is running for Governor. I had seen this man, on campus last Wednesday; I liked him and wanted to see him again. So I sat there. He came, gave his speech asking us to vote for him, and everybody cheered, including myself. I felt like Zelig, nobody had invited me, but I was just blending seamlessly.

I got my share of Mixiotes Calientitos.

I guess I have to vote for the man now!

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews