Saturday, August 29, 2009

Back in Chilpancingo

After a few days in the States I am back in my office.

Last week they killed the left party leader Armando Chavarria Barrera. He was a strong candidate for the Democraticf Revolutionary Party (PRD for its initials in Spanish) governor's race in two years. Right now this party is nominally in power, but it is obvious for any naive observer like myself that the party is fractured. It is even thinkable that the current governor is behind the killing.

Tomorrow there is a march downtown Chilpancingo where the widow of the slain leader is to speak. What a welcome!

Another piece of news is that yesterday morning there was a bank robbery two blocks away from my house. These guys run away going towards our campus and disappeared from sight. Isn't all these weird. Hey man, am I in a movie or what?

Yesterday I was still in Mexico City looking for the tomb of a great Mexican physicist: Manuel Sandoval Vallarta ; but he is not buried where I thought he was. I found the tomb of Isadora Duncan though. She never lived in Mexico and didn't die here, but it is rumoured that President Calles was in love with her, and they never erased what seemed to be a prank but some mischiveous characters. Only in Mexico you get such treats of surrealism, or should we call it Mexican Magical Realism?

Paid day passed and no deposot has been made. Maybe Monday. Everything can happen in Mexico.

Welcome Home!

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews