Sunday, August 02, 2009

Physics Department, University of Puebla

I came here many years ago. This place then, was not that different from the place I work now. I was close to get a Ph.D. degree in Physics from the University of California. Nothing was happening.

Thirty years later I am back. The place is different.

Besides expected changes: some friends are dead, the children of friends are active scientists now. I see a change I want to record here.

This did not have to happen but it did. This is a budding international physics center. So much so, that I would feel honored if they take me back.

The difference was made by a few good students that went ahead to learn the trade in high learning centers.

I will choose two examples, one a program in Astrophysics, and the other in laboratoy based High Energy Physics.

There are at most two principal scientists based in Puebla. I see a bright future for both groups.

Why do I think this?

First, because they are doing what I wanted to do then. Second, because now they have students, as I did then.

These students, will have students, and so on and so forth. The flame was lit.

This result depended and several factors coming together well. A loan from the World Bank, a government that understood the need to bring Mexico to the XXIst century, and a population in the State of Puebla, that supported these efforts.

By no means, is it assured that going forward all these supports will be maintained.
What I do know is that these mature scientists will continue to do what they have so far tried to do.

The head of the Astroparticle group got a doctorate, and postdoctorate in Mathematical Physics. Now he has shown an uncanny ability to bring together people from different walks of life to work for the pursuit of scientific efforts. The head of the laboratoy based group, was one of my two best students when I first taught here. He has doggedly pushed to be recognized as a leader of this group, by the members of the group, and his peers in other groups.

Now I hope I can join their efforts for the good of science.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews