Sunday, January 07, 2007

Affirmative Action Anyone?

When I was a student in the University of California at Santa Barbara, I read in the paper that Mr. Bakke, a white student, took the Univeristy to court because he was discriminated against on the basis of being white.

The University changed its policies and now one gets to that public university on the basis of merit. Would you expect more whites on campus now? Unexpectedly for Mr. Bakke the answer is NO. Now the "new Jews", as the article informs us, i.e. the Asians are getting into that competitive University above the percentage of the population of that origin in the State.

The phenomenon is not localized in California, all over the US the percentage of students of that ethnicity is bigger in the universities than in the general population.

I, for one, am not surprised, I met my first friend from China, when I was studying high school in Mexico City!

Now the rest of us should sit down in our chairs and rise up to the competition, let us study harder.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews