Sunday, January 28, 2007

Sunday Morning

This is a blog. Web Log means a record online. Right now is early in the morning in the Midwest. I know of two or three people that read my pieces besides me. I am writing to them, sometimes with them, but mainly with myself.
I understand that a conversation requires time, otherwise whoever is listening does not know what the conversation is about. The main reason I started these musings is to keep young people interested in science. At some point I even advertised it in class, I do not think that those students read what I write. Then I followed the Mexican presidential election and my favorite won, but the election was stolen once more, sad Mexican story. At this stage I must have attracted two or three more like minded Mexicans. I am concerned about environmental degradation, so I expect that a few more like minded people come here once in a while.
Today I am starting a new topic. Relevant Science and my conception of reality, my worldview. Of course this is present in previous posts, but the purpose of this note is just to clearly say what is this worldview.
I believe in the uniqueness of my mind and the minds of anybody that may be reading this.
All of us know the opinions of people around us, thus we have a collective opinion, and conception of reality. Whoever has one, which is incomprehensible to us, is either a foreigner or mentally challenged. These opinions are recent and ancient; I have a strong bias towards the most recent ones. That is what makes me a scientist. Science is the method to keep knowledge accurate. These ideas may come from twenty thousand years ago or from our last moment of consciousness, in both cases, the scientific method can be used to gauge their relevance to the world we live in, and most of all if they are true or false, when something like truth value can be ascertained.
I write here some of the beliefs that are my worldview.

We live in a planet near the Sun. We have not found life besides the one on Earth.

On Earth the most complex objects we know about are our brain and the nervous system connected to it.

The gray matter that resides in a very thin layer of the brain is very active; it consists of connecting and disconnecting elements. This constant activity produces consciousness.

The Sun is in the middle of its life cycle of ten billion years.

The Universe started fifteen billion years ago; it has expanded to the point where the effects of dark energy can be observed with telescopes.

The Hubble Space Telescope and others, show that far supernovae move faster than near ones. Hubble observed constant velocity, the Hubble telescope shows constant acceleration instead.

In the far future every single atom we are made of, produced in supernovae, is going to be teared apart by this dark energy.

It is not clear if our species will have descendants after the one hundred thousand years we have already been around. If we do, that consciousness will be destroyed by dark energy.

Today, twenty one years ago the space shuttle Challenger failed, everybody on board died.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews